Graduating Seniors this year are missing out on many traditional milestones, such as proms, sports, classes, parties, and even walking on stage to receive the diploma they’ve spent the last 12 years working towards.
Learn how to make a DIY Photo Explosion Box for the perfect senior graduation gift.
When I graduated from high school, my mom surprised me with a photo book. This was in the days before digital photos and MixBook, so it was actually hundreds of photos from my childhood and high school years cut into collages and put in a binder in page protectors.
I’m pretty certain that it was the first time I cried when I received a gift.
Having all of those memories together, and being able to relive moments in your personal history from photos is priceless!
I designed the Graduation Celebration Photo Explosion Box to hold special memories in a unique and fun way.
The graduation cap just sits on top of the explosion photo gift box, so you can use the explosion box for any occasion simply by changing out the design accents.
You’ll just love watching your senior take the lid off this explosion box and seeing their face light up as the sides fall down and their favorite memories pop out.
They will laugh as they remove another lid and giggle in amazement as the boxes keep getting smaller and smaller…
…. and yet there are STILL more boxes to open, with folders and filmstrips to unfold.
Watch the video to see what I mean!
The video above shows the basic heart photo explosion box, but I’ve added graduation symbols so that you can customize it into the perfect DIY graduation gift.
You don’t need to fill the box with photos only.
What else can you put into this explosion box?
Write a heartfelt note in one of the folders, or put a letter written on a long scroll in the final box.
Tuck cash into one of the small envelopes.
Up to four gift card pockets (with four different diploma and graduation cap icons) fit on the first layer.
In the final and smallest box, it’s up to you.
You can put in a blank filmstrip with room for 64 photos…. or you could gift jewelry, or a key, or something else that’s very special.
I’ve included three different text sentiments in three different fonts and explain how to use them in your design.
There are also links to the free fonts just in case you’d like to use them with your own text, as I did in the 1st Day of School photo.
There are many different types of foldouts, envelopes, and pockets that hold three, four, seven, or even more photos.
You’ll learn how to fully customize the box and photos in a 39-page instructional guidebook, with step-by-step tutorials, screenshots, and photo inspiration.
You can choose if it will be a simple, special gift with just 10 photos, or if you want to create an elaborate, pop-out scrapbook with up to 200 photos!
You could also create the gift box without photos, and let your graduate choose which memories they will fill it with.
WHAT DO I GET?
This is a digital download.
You will receive a ZIP file that contains the full instructions for creating the Graduation Celebration Photo Explosion Box, templates for cutting photos, and the SVG files needed to cut this box on an electronic cutting machine such as a Cricut.
The ZIP file contains:
- SVGs for each layer of the Explosion Box which include the box base, lids, and many other elements
- SVGs to create a graduation hat for the outside box, hat and diploma icons to be cut or drawn on accent pieces, and three graduation text sentiments in three different fonts
- PDF Photo Templates to print
- SVG files to use with the Photo Templates so you can cut your photos perfectly
- a 39-page instructional guidebook in PDF format
The instructional guidebook contains:
- an easy overview checklist to show your progress
- over 170 photos and screenshots so you know EXACTLY what to do, both in Cricut Design Space and when you are assembling the box
- step-by-step instructions on how to do common procedures in Cricut’s Design Space, such as Scoring, Attaching, and Drawing
- information on materials needed
- how to choose your photos and where to have them printed for easy sizing
- many tips and tricks to make this process go smoothly
Ready to get started?
Purchase the only digital file pack that you need to create AMAZING gifts now.