If you are a new Cricut user, the steps to add files to your project can be confusing. (Why do we have to hit an Upload button three different times?)
Below are step-by-step instructions on how to upload an SVG to your new project in Cricut Design Space.
First, you’ll download a ZIP file. The project tutorial explains which file and where you can download it from. This file contains the SVG and perhaps some other versions of the same file.
Double-click the ZIP file to open the folder. The files you see now are the files to upload to Cricut Design Space.
How to upload an SVG to Cricut Design Space
1) Open Cricut Design Space by double-clicking the icon on your computer.
2) Create a new project by clicking either of the buttons outlined in red in the image below.
3) Click on the Upload button.
4) Click on the next Upload Image button.
5) You can either click the Browse button and navigate to the SVG file you want to upload, or you can drag and drop the file from another window into the upload space.
6) The SVG file preview is shown on the left. Click on the Upload button in the bottom right corner.
7) Select the image you just uploaded. (You can select multiple files by clicking the mouse on each preview.) Click the Add to Canvas button.
8) The first step after the SVG has been added to your project is always to UnGroup it.
This will allow you to change colors, specify different operations for each object (such as score, draw, engrave, or perforate,) and Group and Attach each individual layer as needed.
After this step, start following the tutorial for that specific project.
Many websites offer free SVG files and tutorials – including mine.
Sign up below to access the Free Files Folder, which contains all of the SVGs that I’ve created to share.