Easily make this amazing DIY Christmas gift box with your Cricut! The pop-up cubes leaping out will delight whoever opens it!
originally published December 12, 2019
updated November 8, 2021
Your special someone will love this handmade papercraft! 😍
It’s quite simple to assemble; you’ll get the hang of it quickly after making the first pop-up cube. Decorate it with photos from past holidays to make it extra-special. 📸
Materials needed to create this unique DIY Christmas gift box:
- the free Christmas Pop-Up Gift Box SVG pattern downloaded from the Free Files Folder – it’s Design #39
- At least nine pieces of card stock
- A way to cut and score the cardstock – I use a Cricut Maker
- Six rubber bands
– Glue such as Aleene’s Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue or Bearly Art Precision Crafting Glue
– Extra Strong Double-Sided Tape
- More paper to decorate the sides of the cubes, or photos if you’d like to personalize it more
* Links to products are for your convenience in finding tools and materials, however, they are affiliate links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. *
Tips on choosing the right materials:
Instead of using glue, you can also use extra strong, double-sided tape. It’s less messy and very strong.
Sometimes it’s hard to find the correct size of rubber bands. You want it to be about the size of one cube when pressed down.
How to use the SVG file and assemble the papercraft
1) Go to the ✨ Free Files Folder 📂 and enter the password. Scroll down to design #39 – Holiday Snowflake Pop-Up Cubes SVG. Click on the link, and it will download directly to your computer. Unzip the file, and then upload both SVG files to Design Space. Insert them into a new project.
2) Select the cut line over the main piece in gray, and change it to a Score line. Attach the Score line to the gray base piece below. It should look like the screen shot below.
3) The box and drawer are shown below.
Cut the project out.
4) Fold along the score lines and glue the wrapper and drawer as shown. The accent pieces line the bottom of the drawer, and go on both the inside and outside of the drawer ends to make it stronger. Decorate the top if you like.
5) Glue the accent pieces to the cube as shown. I used sticker paper and “Print and Cut” to make the penguins and the gnomes. The snowflakes are cut from vinyl. (The snowflakes are cut images in the SVG.) The gnomes are a file from the Well Crafted Studio.
6) Fold on the score lines. Stretch a rubber band around the tabs and glue the cube closed. Watch the video below to see the technique. Do this for all of your cubes. (The box will fit six or seven, but you can also make fewer cubes.)
7) Fold the cubes into the drawer and slide it into the box.
Your DIY Christmas Gift Box is finished! When you give the gift, encourage the receiver to pull the drawer all the way out quickly and watch their face light up with surprise and delight. 🤩
Ready to download the free SVG or printable? Head over to the 📂 Free Files Folder and enter the ✨ magic word. ✨ (If you don’t have the magic word, just fill in the form below first.)
Do you want to sell handmade pop-up cubes?
Many crafters asked if they could create gift boxes with pop-up cubes to sell, so I’ve created a commercial use license.
Click on the product for more details.
Save this for later by pinning on Pinterest!
Looking for more DIY projects for your cutting machine? Try these!